These easy hash brown au gratin potatoes require only 6 ingredients and can be made in about 10 minutes. It's like wholesome comfort food with the convenience of fast food. Some days, there's nothing more perfect than that.
Super Easy 6-ingredient Hash Brown Au Gratin Potatoes
This recipe was my Grandma's, lovingly passed on to her kids and grandkids in a recipe book she made for us as a Christmas gift years ago. The book is packed with comfort food recipes, each with a few sentences about who loved the dish or where she got the recipe.
Occasionally, there's some information missing from a recipe - something she forgot to add or accidentally erased when painstakingly typing them all out onto her computer before my Grandpa added adorable clip-art and printed the pages. There's one recipe where she forgot to add all of the instructions, which always makes me smile. 🙂
The little intro she wrote for this simple hash brown au gratin potato recipe goes like this: This is a good potato recipe, and takes only a few minutes to put together, then another few under the broi
I am dying to know what happened in the middle of her typing the word broiler. Did the oven timer go off? Did someone call? Did Grandpa ask her a question? Most importantly, is there anything else she wanted to say about this recipe???
We'll never know. Probably, if she was still with us and I could ask her, she's say, "Oh heavens. I don't know what I was going to say and I'm sure it wasn't important. Here. Have a cookie."
These Easy Au Gratin Potatoes Are So Delicious
They only take about 10 minutes to make and require just 6 simple ingredients: half and half, butter, hash brown potatoes, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Cook the potatoes on the stovetop, sprinkle them with cheese, and put them under the broiler for just about a minute, and you're done.
It goes without saying that this is the type of dish that goes really well with other comfort food - like meatloaf. But, my 17 year old ate them for breakfast just last week.
So, the only rule here is to eat them whenever and with whatever you like. They're quick and easy enough to satisfy the most spontaneous craving for comfort food.
More delicious potato recipes:
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Potato Gratin with Smoked Salmon and Paprika Cream Sauce
- Simple Perfect Roasted Potatoes
- Zuppa Toscana with Potatoes and Sausage
If you give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or take a picture and tag it #alittleandalot on Instagram.
10-Minute Au Gratin Potatoes
These easy hash brown au gratin potatoes require only 6 ingredients and can be made in about 10 minutes.
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 12 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Set an oven rack in the top third of your oven and preheat the broiler.
- Add the half & half, 4 tablespoons of the butter, salt, and pepper to a heavy bottom saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add the hash browns and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Pour into a shallow baking dish or pie plate.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a small dish in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese in an even layer over the top of the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes under the broiler and let cook just until the parmesan is golden brown. Watch carefully; the cheese will brown quickly, and if you're not careful it will burn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Leave a Reply