These easy hash brown au gratin potatoes require only 6 ingredients and can be made in about 10 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 12 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Set an oven rack in the top third of your oven and preheat the broiler.
- Add the half & half, 4 tablespoons of the butter, salt, and pepper to a heavy bottom saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add the hash browns and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Pour into a shallow baking dish or pie plate.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a small dish in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese in an even layer over the top of the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes under the broiler and let cook just until the parmesan is golden brown. Watch carefully; the cheese will brown quickly, and if you’re not careful it will burn.
Keywords: potatoes, au gratin potatoes, easy recipe, fast vegetable recipe, comfort food