Short rib meat as tender as butter and coated in sauce from my all-time favorite Asian Short Rib recipe is the starting point for this delicious saucy fried rice. A handful of vegetables and pomegranate molasses create a rich and flavorful meal that’s deeply satisfying.
For the short rib meat:
- 1 recipe Asian Short Ribs: Follow the recipe instructions to turn the cooking liquid into a sauce, reducing the liquid until you have 1 cup of sauce. Remove the meat from the bone and shred. Use as much or as little short rib meat as you like for this dish, reserving the rest for other dishes. *See the list of recipes above that include short rib meat.
For the rice:
*If you have 2-3 cups of leftover rice that’s been chilled for at least 12 hours, you can use use that instead.
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Fried Rice:
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup green beans, fresh or frozen and thawed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup diced shallot
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
Prepare 1 recipe Asian Short Ribs. Remove the meat from the bone and shred, and reserve1 cup of the short rib sauce.
Cook and chill the rice:
- Pour the rice into a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. This helps remove any excess starch from the grains. Let drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot and shimmering. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the water and salt. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until the rice has absorbed all the water, about 17-18 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid and cover the pan with a clean dish towel that’s been folded in half. Replace the lid, setting it over the dish towel and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spread the rice out in an even layer onto a baking sheet. Let cool 10 minutes then chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. While the rice chills, proceed with the rest of the dish. (You can prepare the rice up to 2 days ahead of time. Scoop into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.)
Make the Fried Rice:
- Put the green beans in a microwave safe bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of water and about a 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 4 minutes, until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large non-stick skillet or wok and set over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the eggs. Cook stirring constantly, just until the eggs are scrambled. (Be careful to not over cook. You want the eggs to be set but not super dry.) Scrape the scrambled eggs out of the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Rinse out the skillet, add 1 more tablespoon of butter, and return to medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add the diced shallot and and broccoli florets. Sprinkle with about 1/4 tsp of salt and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Add the green beans and stir-fry for 1 minute longer.
- Add the rice, pomegranate molasses, short rib sauce, and short rib meat to the skillet. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer, and reduce the heat to medium. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the scrambled eggs and serve.
Keywords: fried rice, short ribs, asian recipe, asian fried rice, beef fried rice