Whether you grew up on Southern style food or not, there's something about a big bowl of cheesy grits that feels homey and comforting. While perfectly delicious all on their own, cheesy grits make a fantastic canvas for other flavors, like Sheet Pan Cajun Chicken & Potatoes with Vegetables.Print
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- ¾ cup stone ground grits (not instant or quick cooking)
- 1 to 1 & ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
- Bring broth and milk to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, crushed red pepper (if using), and grits. Cover, and reduce the heat to low. Let the grits cook for 20 minutes, lifting the lid and stirring with a wire whisk occasionally.
- When the grits are tender, remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese, and the butter, and cream if you're using them. Taste and add more cheese if you like.