Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread tossed with Italian sausage, cherry tomatoes, and spinach in a quick vinaigrette.
- 4 heaping cups of large cornbread cubes - about 1/2 a pan of Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 tbsp + 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 5 heaping cups spinach
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch green onions, white and light green parts sliced thin (discard dark green parts)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut the cornbread into 1/2 to 1-inch chunks and spread out on the baking sheet in one layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cubes are a deep golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While the cornbread is in the oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble the Italian sausage into the pan and cook, stirring from time to time, until cooked through and none of the chunks of sausage are pink in the center.
- Add the spinach to the skillet along with the sausage. Let stand for a minute allow the bottom layer of spinach to wilt. Then gently toss with the sausage and cook for another minute or two until all of it is wilted. (If all 5 cups won't fit at once, add half, allow it to wilt in the pan, then add the other half.) Dump the mixture onto a plate or a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and add to a large bowl along with the sliced green onions, and chopped cilantro.
- In a small bowl, add the 1/3 cup olive oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously to combine and then pour over the tomato mixture. Toss to coat the tomato mixture with the dressing.
- Add the cooked sausage to the tomato mixture and toss to combine.
- To serve, add 1 cup of cornbread cubes to a plate and top with sausage tomato mixture.
- This salad is best served at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes