Buttery Yukon Gold potatoes are whipped with generous amounts of cream cheese and butter for super creamy mashed potatoes.
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 to 3-inch chunks
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, half-and-half, or buttermilk (Half-and-half adds even more richness. Buttermilk adds a slight tang that is surprisingly yummy)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan about halfway with cold water. Add the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let the potatoes simmer until they are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl of a standing mixer. (See note.)
- Heat the milk, half-and-half, or buttermilk in the microwave or stovetop until little bubbles appear around the edge.
- Drain the cooked potatoes in a colander set in the sink and immediately dump the potatoes over the butter and cream cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the butter and cream cheese to melt.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to the potatoes, fit the mixer with the paddle attachment, and begin to mix on the lowest speed. Add the milk, buttermilk, or half-and-half slowly, adding only what you need to achieve the consistency you desire. You might not need to add the entire half cup.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired, and serve.
- To use a ricer or food mill to mash the potatoes, melt the butter and cream cheese in a saucepan set over low heat. Push the potatoes through the ricer or food mill, slowly stir in the butter and cream cheese, then slowly stir in the milk.
- Category: Vegetable Sides