For the Jalapeño Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3–6 tbsp jalapeño tobacco sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt and pepper (to taste)
For the Chili Rellenos:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp ground cayenne (depending on how spicy you want these to be)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground chorizo sausage
- 27 oz can roasted whole green chilies
- 12 oz sharp white cheddar cheese (or sharp yellow), shredded
- 20 Twin Dragon Egg Roll Wrappers
- About 2 cups of vegetable oil for frying
Make the Jalapeño Cream Sauce:
- Add all the jalapeño cream ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or lime juice if you like. Pour the jalapeño cream sauce into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Make the Chili Rellenos:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, add the paprika, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Place the chicken in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the paprika mixture over the chicken and then use your fingers to turn the chicken in the spices, rubbing the spices into all sides of the chicken. Spread the chicken out into an even layer in the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until there is no pink visible on the inside when you cut into one of the pieces. Leave the chicken in the pan and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- While the chicken cools, heat olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the chorizo and use the back of the spoon to break the sausage into small pieces while it cooks. Cook until completely browned – about 3-5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage from the skillet onto a plate or into a bowl.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into small pieces inside the baking dish. Stir the shredded chicken around inside the pan to coat it in the pan juices.
- Get a work surface set up to assemble the chili rellenos: Drain the green chilies and put them in a bowl. Place 20 egg roll wrappers on the counter and cover them with a damp paper towel. Fill a small bowl with water. Set the shredded chicken, cooked chorizo, and grated cheese nearby. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it close by.
- Working with one at a time, lay an egg roll wrapper in front of you. Dip your fingers in the water and brush it along all 4 edges of the egg roll wrapper to dampen. Lay one green chili open and flat in the center of the egg roll wrapper (see pictures above). Add about 3 tablespoons of cheese in the center of the green chili. Top with a few pieces of chicken and a chorizo. Fold the bottom corner of the egg roll wrapper up towards the center. Fold the left side corner up and over the bottom corner and the filling ingredients. Fold the top corner down to the center, then roll the egg roll towards the right corner. Press the seam with your fingers to seal and lay the egg roll on the parchment lined baking sheet. Roll the chili relleno in a second egg roll wrapper and place on the parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining egg roll wrappers and filling.
- Fill a large saucepan with enough oil to come up the sides of the pan about 2 inches and set it over high heat. Heat the oil to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set it close by. Using metal tongs, add 3 or 4 rellenos to the hot oil. As they fry, turn them so that they brown on all sides. When the egg rolls are a deep golden brown, use the tongs to remove them from the pan and lay them out on the paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls, watching the heat and adjusting the temperature of the burner to keep the oil between 325 – 340.
*NOTE: You can keep the cooked chili rellenos warm in a 200 degree oven for up to 1 hour.