What to cook for dinner this week:
1.) Zuppa Toscana 2.) Open Face Sausage and Provolone Sandwiches with Roasted Tomato Sauce 3.) Baked Garlic Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Risotto 4.) Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken Salad with Tahini Dressing 5.) Spaghetti Puttanesca 6.) Cocktail: Rosemary Grapefruit Greyhound
If you’re not familiar with this blog, here’s the basic idea:
Using some of the same ingredients in multiple dishes throughout the week is the key to getting delicious, wholesome, good for you, home cooked meals on the table several nights of the week. The recipes in each 5-day meal plan include some prep-work for another meal later in the week.
Like every other meal plan on this blog, this week’s recipes are designed to make healthy, delicious, home cooked meals every night of the week much easier with each meal building on the previous night’s efforts. A little = a lot.
If you’d rather cook three meals instead of five this week…
If two or three home cooked meals is more your style this week, Days #2, # 3, and #5 – OR – #1, and #4 work well together. Please note that the grocery list at the bottom of this page is for all 5 meals.
Meal Prep, Day by Day
What’s for Dinner Tonight: Zuppa Toscana
Zuppa Toscana is one of my favorite soups of all time. The recipe makes quite a bit on purpose. Leftovers reheat beautifully and (I think) are even better the second or third day. It's a wonderful dish to have on hand for lunch or for one of the nights this week when you're not planning to cook. If you'd rather not have leftovers, just reduce the recipe.
The recipe for Zuppa Toscana calls for 1 pound of sausage. For this week's meal plan, cook 1 ½ pounds of sausage, reserving ½ pound of cooked sausage for Sausage and Provolone Sandwiches on Day #2.
The following meal prep tasks will make the rest of the week's recipes a breeze.
- Make a batch of Roasted Tomato Sauce. This delicious sauce plays a prominent role in this week's meal plan, proving just how versatile and delicious this simple sauce is. 8 pounds of tomatoes will give you about 6 cups of sauce, which you'll use in three different meals this week.
Lemon Rosemary Chicken Salad Prep (Day #4):
- Mix up the tahini salad dressing and make the candied almonds. Store the dressing in the refrigerator and the almonds at room temperature. (You might want to hide the almonds, even from yourself, so that they don't get eaten before day #4. Speaking from experience here. 🙄)
- Peel and cut the carrots for Roasted Carrots and Dates. Store carrot sticks in the refrigerator.
What’s for Dinner Tonight: Sausage and Provolone Sandwiches
- Since you've already cooked the sausage and made the roasted tomato sauce on Day #1, tonight's dinner will be on the table in about 10 minutes.
- Serve tonight's sandwiches with a simple salad of fresh greens tossed with Classic Vinagrette.
What’s for Dinner Tonight: Baked Garlic Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Risotto
- Roasted tomato sauce is just one of the ingredients in tonight's dinner that make it rich and flavorful. The entire meal will take under an hour and utilizes the easiest, most hands-off method I know for risotto. You can use either frozen or unfrozen shrimp in this dish. If using unfrozen, get the risotto going then the baked shrimp. If using frozen shrimp, get that going first, then make the risotto while the shrimp cooks in the oven.
- If you're planning to make Day #4's meal tomorrow, it's helpful to get the chicken in the brine tonight. The chicken needs to marinate in the brine for at least 30 minutes, but it's even better if it marinates overnight.
What’s for Dinner Tonight:
Lemon Rosemary Chicken with Tahini Dressing
- If you want to top your Spaghetti Puttanesca with Grilled Chicken on Day #5, grill a couple of extra pieces and reserve them in the refrigerator.
- If you completed the prep work at the beginning of the week, this salad will come together quickly. If not, don't be alarmed by the length of the ingredients and instructions. The whole salad can be prepared in about an hour.
What’s for Dinner Tonight:
- Use the last of the Roasted Tomato Sauce to make this super-simple, flavor-packed pasta dish that will be on the table in under 45 minutes.
- If you grilled some extra Lemon Rosemary Chicken on Day #4, pile it onto your pasta to add some protein to this carb-rich meal.
This Week’s Featured Cocktail: Rosemary Grapefruit Greyhound
Suggested Recipes for the Baker:
- Funfetti Cake with Classic American Buttercream
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- How to Make the Perfect Blueberry Pie
- Peach Almond Thumbprint Cookies
- Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- Vitamix Blender
- Aluminum Commercial Baker's Big Sheet
- Food mill
- Cast Iron Grill Pan
- Cuisinart Electric Grill