Slices of toasted baguette spread with a thick layer of savory seasoned mayonnaise, a handful of peppery arugula, medallions of crispy panko fried chicken, and spicy cranberry relish.
For the Spicy Cranberry Relish:
- 12 oz frozen cranberries
- 1 orange, washed, unpeeled, and cut into quarters
- 2 large jalapeños, stem, core, and seeds removed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
For the Savory Seasoned Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the Fried Chicken Medallions:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup corn oil
To assemble the sandwiches:
- 1 French baguette
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup chives, chopped
Make the Spicy Cranberry Relish:
- Add all the Cranberry Relish ingredients to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Process until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended and there are no chunks of any one ingredient in the relish. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired.
- Scrape the relish into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make the Savory Seasoned Mayonnaise:
- Add all the mayonnaise ingredients to a bowl and stir until blended. Scrape into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make the Fried Chicken Medallions:
- Add the flour to a shallow dish or pie plate and sprinkle in about 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a separate shallow dish or pie plate and sprinkle in about 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the panko bread crumbs to another shallow dish or pie plate.
- Cut the chicken into pieces that are approximately 2-inches wide. Have a clean plate nearby. Dip each piece of chicken into the flour, rolling it around to coat. Gently shake off excess flour, then dip the chicken into the eggs, coating it completely. Lift the chicken from the eggs and press the chicken into the panko bread crumbs, coating it on all sides. As you coat the chicken with bread crumbs, press it firmly with the palm of your hand to flatten it out and coat with a thick layer of bread crumbs. Lay the chicken medallion onto the clean plate and repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Lay several paper towels on a plate and set it close to the stovetop. Pour the corn oil into a large, deep saucepan set over high heat. Heat the oil to 375 degrees on a candy or deep fry thermometer.
- Using tongs, add several pieces of chicken to the hot oil; do not overcrowd the pan. As the chicken fries, monitor the oil, adjusting the heat as necessary, so that the oil stays between 325 – 340 degrees. Let the chicken cook on one side until it’s a deep golden brown, then turn to the other side. When it is a deep golden brown on all sides, remove one piece of chicken from the hot oil and lay it on the paper towel lined plate. Quickly cut into the piece of chicken to check for doneness. If there is no pink inside the chicken, immediately remove the other pieces from the hot oil to the paper towel lined plate. Total cooking time for the chicken medallions is 3-5 minutes. Repeat with all the chicken medallions until they are all cooked.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Slice the baguette into slices that are about 1-inch thick and toast.
- For each sandwich: Spread one piece of toast with approximately 1 tablespoon of savory seasoned mayonnaise. Lay 5 or 6 arugula leaves over the mayonnaise and top with a fried chicken medallion. Spoon a generous amount of cranberry relish over the chicken medallion and sprinkle with a small handful of chives.