Summer Gin Julep Cocktail Recipe
For such a simple cocktail, this Gin Julep Cocktail is exactly the kind of thing I want to drink on a gorgeous spring day.
A classic Julep is made with bourbon and delicious in its own right. But swapping out the bourbon with gin and adding a splash of lime cordial is a nice twist and feels especially right for spring and summer nights.
Gin Julep Cocktail
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 1 ounce Rose's lime juice cordial (*See note)
- 3 ounces gin
- crushed ice
- lime and/or more mint leaves, to garnish
- Chill a Julep cup or other cocktail glass.
- Add mint leaves and Rose's lime juice to a cocktail shaker or cup. Muddle the mint in the lime juice to release the mint oil. Pour in the gin and stir.
- Fill the chilled cup to the top with crushed ice.
- Pour the gin over the crushed ice and top with even more crushed ice.
- Garnish with additional mint leaves and a slice of lime if desired, and serve.
I know there are a lot of people who don't like Rose's Lime Juice Cordial. (For my whole diatribe about why I think the haters should just relax, click over to this recipe for Pomegranate Margaritas.) Most people don't like it because it contains corn syrup. I have two things to say about that:
- There's only 1 ounce of Rose's Lime Juice Cordial, which is hardly anything to be too alarmed about.
- Only the Rose's Lime Juice that's made in the USA includes corn syrup. The UK and Canadian versions are made with real sugar.
Thanks to the wonders of online shopping, you can easily get your hands on the sugar-made version by ordering it online: Rose’s Lime Juice Cordial.
Substitutions for Rose's Lime Juice Cordial:
If you don’t really want to bother with Rose’s Lime Juice at all, no worries. Whipping up a batch of homemade lime cordial is super easy:
- Add 1 cup (250g) sugar, 8oz water, 2oz lime juice, 2oz lime peel, and 1oz citric acid in a blender.
- Blend for about 30 seconds, strain, bottle and refrigerate.
- You can also just increase the amount of fresh lime juice and add a few ounces of simple syrup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Leave a Reply