Glazed Carrots coated in a delicious mix of brown sugar and butter with a touch of salt and cayenne pepper is the ultimate quick family friendly vegetable side dish.
- 6–8 whole carrots, peeled, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2–3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Slice the carrots on the bias (with diagonal slices) into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large, non-stick skillet (preferably one with a lid), bring the carrots, broth, granulated sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and let simmer for 3-4 minutes. You want the carrots to be just barely tender.
- Uncover the pan and turn the heat to high. Cook stirring occasionally, until there is only about 2 tablespoons of liquid left in the pan.
- Sprinkle the carrots with the brown sugar and butter and cook, stirring constantly, until both the butter and sugar have melted and the glaze has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, sprinkle with 2 tsp of lemon juice, and stir. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice if desired.