Marinated, Grilled Summer Vegetable and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Sandwiches
Marinated, Grilled Summer Vegetables are layered over homemade red pepper hummus for brightly flavored open face sandwiches that make a fresh, satisfying summer meal. If you like, serve with a few slices of grilled kielbasa sausage.
This is my absolute favorite marinade for grilled summer vegetables. Stacked on top of pieces of toast that have been slathered with a thick layer of roasted red pepper hummus, the veggies are every bit as satisfying as a sandwich built with meat and cheese. Keep them vegetarian or serve with a few slices of kielbasa sausage.
Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is as easy as throwing some ingredients into a food processor and blending until smooth. But, using a good quality prepared hummus picked up from your local market will, of course, work just as well.
As I've mentioned before, neither my husband or I are into outdoor grilling. So, more often than not, I grill food inside my kitchen, using either an electric grill or a cast iron grill pan. Both work great, but the cast iron pan does seem to give the food more of that "grilled" flavor. It also produces more smoke than the electric grill, so... it's a trade off.
The veggies pictured here were cooked with my cast iron grill pan. They tasted fantastic, but we did have to open all the windows in the kitchen and turn the fan over my stove up to its highest speed. Whatever. These sandwiches were totally worth it. 😀
Here are the two indoor grill pans I use:
Meal Plans that Include Marinated, Grilled Summer Vegetable and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Sandwiches:
Meal Planning Note:
Marinated, Grilled Summer Vegetables are layered over homemade red pepper hummus for brightly flavored open face sandwiches that make a fresh, satisfying summer meal.
For the Vegetable Marinade:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 2 red bell peppers
- 12 to 16 oz mushrooms (any variety)
- 2 heaping cups cherry tomatoes
For the sandwiches:
- French, Italian, or Sourdough Bread, sliced and toasted
- 1 cup Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (or use a good quality prepared hummus)
- 12 to 14 oz link Kielbasa Sausage (optional)
Make the Marinade:
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Trim the ends of the zucchini and yellow squash. Cut each in half crosswise, then cut each piece in half length wise.
- Peel onions and cut into quarters.
- Trim ends of green beans.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the red peppers. Cut in half, then cut each half into 4 pieces.
- Clean mushrooms and slice in half
- Add all vegetables to a very large bowl. Pour the marinade over the veggies and toss with your hands to coat. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Cook veggies on an indoor or outdoor grill or in a grill pan.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- If using, throw the Kielbasa Sausage on the grill to heat through. Remove from the grill and slice.
- Slather a piece of toast with a generous amount of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Top with an assortment of grilled vegetables and a few slices of sausage if you like.