Marinated, Grilled Summer Vegetables are layered over homemade red pepper hummus for brightly flavored open face sandwiches that make a fresh, satisfying summer meal.
For the Vegetable Marinade:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 2 red bell peppers
- 12 to 16 oz mushrooms (any variety)
- 2 heaping cups cherry tomatoes
For the sandwiches:
- French, Italian, or Sourdough Bread, sliced and toasted
- 1 cup Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (or use a good quality prepared hummus)
- 12 to 14 oz link Kielbasa Sausage (optional)
Make the Marinade:
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Trim the ends of the zucchini and yellow squash. Cut each in half crosswise, then cut each piece in half length wise.
- Peel onions and cut into quarters.
- Trim ends of green beans.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the red peppers. Cut in half, then cut each half into 4 pieces.
- Clean mushrooms and slice in half
- Add all vegetables to a very large bowl. Pour the marinade over the veggies and toss with your hands to coat. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Cook veggies on an indoor or outdoor grill or in a grill pan.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- If using, throw the Kielbasa Sausage on the grill to heat through. Remove from the grill and slice.
- Slather a piece of toast with a generous amount of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Top with an assortment of grilled vegetables and a few slices of sausage if you like.