Quick and easy homemade pizza dough, rich marinara sauce, tender, juicy meatballs, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese come together in a homemade meatball pizza that’s better than takeout.
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp of salt to a small bowl
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Meatballs and pepperoni and/or other toppings of your choice
- Place a pizza stone on a rack in the center of your oven. Alternatively, cover a rimless baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. If using a pizza stone, heat the stone inside the oven for 30 minutes.
- Scatter some flour over a works surface and divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, keeping the dough you’re not working with covered to prevent it from drying out.
- If baking your pizza on a pizza stone, cut a 14 to 16 inch circle of parchment paper and place on a pizza peel or rimless baking sheet. This will make it easy to slide your pizza onto the hot baking stone without having to use a lot of flour. The parchment paper will not prevent the bottom of your crust from crisping up.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and salt to a bowl and stir to mix.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, gently press and stretch it out into a 9 to 12 inch circle. (If you’ve never shaped pizza dough, this is a good video describing how to do it.)
- Lay the dough onto the parchment round on a pizza peel or rimless baking sheet, or onto the parchment lined baking sheet you will be baking the pizza on. Brush the crust all over with a bit of the garlic and olive oil mixture. Spread with 1/3 – 1/2 cup of marinara sauce, leaving about 1-inch boarder around the edge. Scatter with cheese. Cut meatballs in half and scatter a few across the surface of the pizza along with pepperoni slices, and/ or any other toppings.
- Slide the pizza, parchment and all, off the pizza peel or baking sheet onto the hot pizza stone. If baking the pizza on a parchment covered baking sheet, just place the baking sheet into the oven. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the cheese is bubbling and just beginning to brown in places. Use the pizza peel, a baking sheet, or a large metal spatula to remove the pizza from the oven. Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Repeat with remaining dough, garlic olive oil, sauce, cheese, and toppings.
Having a baking stone and pizza peel is useful when making homemade pizza, but not necessary. While the bottom of the crust won’t get quite as crispy, you can bake a perfectly good pizza on a baking sheet. If using a baking stone, having a pizza peel is really useful. Pizza stones need to preheat in the oven and a pizza peel makes getting the pizza into the oven easy. But, you can also slide your pizza into the oven this with a baking sheet.