There's no mayo in these sassy open face tuna sandwiches. Instead, mix in some fresh lemon juice, capers, and dijon, pile the tuna salad on top of toast and tomatoes, and top the whole magnificent sandwich with sautéed broccoli and roasted almonds.
Italian Tuna Sandwiches with Tomatoes, Sautéed Broccoli, and Roasted Almonds.
This last September I got to travel to Italy to cook for a luxury yoga retreat. While most evening meals were served at the retreat's villa, many lunches were enjoyed at outdoor tables on busy sidewalks in lovely Tuscan villages.
One one such day, one of the retreat attendees became absolutely besotted with a tuna sandwich. She let me have a bite. I was equally besotted. The tuna was dressed in the bright flavors of lemon, mustard, and capers and spread over tomatoes on a slice of Italian bread.
So that's what inspired this recipe. I have no idea if the ingredients I've selected are similar to that Tuscan sandwich, but if my memory serves me right, they are at least in the ballpark. I've added sautéed broccoli and chopped almonds for no other reason than they add flavor and crunch.
This is one of those simple, casual dishes that takes minutes to make, but leaves you feeling supremely well-nourished and content.
If you're making this as a part of Fall Meal Plan #3, pull out the extra broccoli you sautéed earlier in the week, which will help you get these quick and easy sandwiches on the table even faster.
For all the talk of these sandwiches being Italian inspired, they are really, really delicious served with a French Pear Martini.
Meal Plans that Include Italian Tuna Sandwiches:Print
- 1 loaf sturdy bread, such as Italian or sourdough, or wholegrain
- 2-3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 oz non pareil capers, drained
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Three 5-oz cans tuna, well drained
- 1 large tomato, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups sautéed broccoli: Cut broccoli into small pieces and follow this recipe for perfect sautéed veggies, adding a pinch of crushed red pepper and a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- 1 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- Slice the bread into 4 thick slices and toast in a toaster or toaster oven. Brush the slices of toast with a bit of olive oil and set each on a plate.
- In a medium size bowl, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, capers, mustard, chopped anchovy fillets, sugar, red pepper, salt, pepper, and parsley. Whisk to combine, then add the drained tuna and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you like.
- Top each piece of toast with a couple slices of tomato. Sprinkle the tomato slices with a bit of salt and pepper, and top with a generous portion of tuna salad. Top the tuna with some sautéed broccoli and a sprinkle of chopped almonds and serve.
- Category: Sandwiches