Meatball Sandwiches with Marinara Sauce and Melted Provolone
Meatball Sandwiches. Tender, juicy meatballs, coated in rich marinara sauce on a toasted French roll and covered in melted provolone, make a quick, hearty, delicious meal.
If you're making these meatball sandwiches as a part of Weekly Winter Meal Plan #3 and therefore took the time to make homemade meatballs and marinara sauce earlier in the week, this is one of those nights that you are going to be so pleased with yourself because dinner is already practically done.
If not, you have a couple of options. Either plan to make a batch of meatballs and marinara before you make these meatball sandwiches, or pick up a bag of frozen meatballs and a jar of marinara sauce at your local market. Defrost or cook the meatballs according to the package instructions and heat them in a saucepan with the marinara sauce.
Either way, this is a super quick meal requiring more assembly than actual cooking.
Weekly Meal Plans that include Meatball Sandwiches:Print
- 12 - 16 meatballs in marinara
- 4 French rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Open the rolls and lay the them cut side down in a toaster oven and toast them until they are a deep golden brown. Alternatively, put the rolls cut side up under the broiler to toast. Watch carefully - they will burn quickly.
- Heat meatballs in a few tablespoons of marinara sauce in the microwave or in a sauce pan on the stovetop until warm.
- Turn on your oven's broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Lay the rolls, cut side up, on the baking sheet and spoon 3-4 meatballs in the center of each. Top each meatball sandwich with 2 slices of provolone cheese and place the pan under the broiler.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and just beginning to brown in a few places. Remove from the oven and serve.
If you don't have some leftover meatballs and marinara on hand, pick up a bag of frozen meatballs and a jar of marinara sauce at your local market. Defrost or cook the meatballs according to the package instructions and heat them in a saucepan with the marinara sauce.