Chicken Tartines with tarragon, capers, roasted red peppers, radishes and cucumbers.
These open face chicken salad sandwiches (also known as tartines) are bursting with the flavors of chives, tarragon, capers, and lemon juice, and will come together in about 15 minutes, thanks to using pre-roasted chicken.
These are not your typical bland mayonnaise and chicken salad sandwiches. These open face knife and fork sandwiches are packed with the flavors of tarragon, chives, and parsley, and the tartness of pickled capers and lemon juice.
Layered over roasted red peppers, and thinly sliced radishes and cucumbers, this quick 15-minute sandwich is one of my favorite things to do with leftover roast chicken - or any deli rotisserie chicken.
If you're making this as a part of Weekly Winter Meal Plan #4, you probably roasted some chicken earlier in the week just for the purpose of making these sandwiches. If not, just pick up a rotisserie chicken at your local market.
The radishes and cucumbers give the sandwiches a nice crunch, contrasting with the creaminess of the chicken salad. Substitute any crunchy raw vegetables if you'd like - carrots, celery, jicama - or add them in addition to the radishes and cucumbers.
It's important to use sturdy thick cut bread for these sandwiches. Thinly sliced bread, or bread that's too soft and airy, will just fall apart under the layers of vegetables and chicken salad.
Useful for slicing vegetables:
Weekly Meal Plans that include Open Face Chicken Salad Sandwiches:Print
These chicken salad sandwiches (also known as tartines) are bursting with the flavors of chives, tarragon, capers, and lemon juice, and will come together in about 15 minutes, thanks to using pre-roasted chicken.
- 4 thick slices of Italian, multi-grain, or sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- ¼ cup minced fresh tarragon
- 4 oz capers, drained
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12-14 oz (about 3 cups) roasted or rotisserie chicken
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers
- 1 English cucumber, sliced very thin
- 12 radishes, ends trimmed and sliced very thin
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Toast the 4 slices of bread until golden brown. Spread each with ½ tbsp of butter and set each on a plate.
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, garlic, chives, tarragon, capers, cayenne, and lemon juice and stir to mix. Add the chicken and toss until the chicken is well coated with the mayonnaise.
- On each slice of bread, layer a few slices of roasted red peppers, cucumbers, and radishes. Sprinkle the vegetables with a bit of salt and pepper. Spoon a generous amount of chicken salad over the vegetables, then sprinkle with a bit of parsley and serve.