Paprika Chicken is delicious roasted or grilled.
Make the Marinated Peppers before starting on the chicken. Marinated peppers can be made up to 3 weeks in advance, kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To Brine Chicken in Buttermilk (*Optional):
Brining chickening buttermilk for a few hours tenderizes the meat and enriches the flavor.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
For the Paprika Chicken and Peppers:
- 4 lbs chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on (Use a whole cut-up chicken, or any combination of pieces. I prefer to use only chicken thighs and drumsticks because the people in my family are dark meat lovers.)
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- dash of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 recipe Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers
- 3 cups of arugula or other tender greens for serving (optional)
For the herbed yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Brine Chicken in Buttermilk (*Optional):
- Pour the buttermilk and salt into a large zip top bag. Add the chicken pieces. Zip the top (make sure it’s completely closed!) and smush the chicken around in the bag a bit to coat evenly with buttermilk and salt. Put in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Make the chicken:
- If roasting chicken, heat the oven to 425 degrees. If grilling the chicken, prepare the grill.
- Lay the chicken out on paper towels and pat dry on all sides.
- In a large bowl, add the paprika, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and cayenne. Stir to mix. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss it around in the spices to coat the chicken completely.
- If roasting in the oven, put the chicken in a roasting pan and cook for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through. When pierced with a fork, the chicken’s juices should run clear.
- If cooking the chicken on the grill, place the chicken over a low-heat section, cover and let roast for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over, cover and cook for another 15 minutes, until cooked through.
Make the Herbed Yogurt Sauce:
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir to mix. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice if desired. Chill the sauce until ready to serve.
- Add a pile of greens to each plate and top with a few slices of marinated peppers and a drizzle of the vinaigrette the peppers are soaking in. Top with a pice or two of chicken. Serve with the yogurt sauce.
Keywords: chicken, paprika chicken, marinated peppers, easy chicken recipe, baked chicken