- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a baking rack into a rimmed baking sheet, or set a broiler rack in a broiler pan. You can also bake the potatoes directly on the rack inside your oven – just be sure to place a pan on the rack underneath the potatoes to catch any dripping oil.
- Prick potatoes all over with a knife or a fork. This will allow steam to escape. If you skip this step, there’s a pretty good change the potatoes will explode in your oven, which is no bueno. 🙂
- Add the oil to a small bowl. Put each potato in the oil and use your hands to coat the skin completely with oil.
- Place the potatoes on the rack inside the pan. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt, turning them over as you do to coat all sides.
- Roast until they feel very tender if you poke a fork into one of them, about 60–90 minutes.