Roasted Tomato Sauce is one of those simple sauces that knocks you over with how delicious it is, adding a crazy amount of flavor to everything it touches.
- 8 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 26 cloves of garlic - do NOT peel
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash tomatoes and remove their stems. Cut each tomato in half and lay them cut side up on a large rimmed baking sheet. Scatter the garlic cloves over and around the tomatoes (do NOT peel the garlic).
- Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes and garlic. Sprinkle the thyme leaves, crushed red pepper, and sugar over the tomatoes and garlic, then sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 60-90 minutes, until the tomatoes are beginning to caramelize on top. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan.
- Working in batches, scoop the tomatoes into a food mill that's been fitted with the large hole strainer plate and set over a large bowl. Strain the tomatoes through the food mill, allowing the sauce to accumulate in the bowl and the tomato skins and core to collect in the food mill. Discard the skins and core.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into the sauce - the garlic will squeeze right out of the skins. Discard garlic skins. Use the back of a spoon to mash the garlic on the sides of the bowl and stir it into the sauce.
- Store tomato sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Sauce can be frozen for up to 6 months.
- To make Roasted Tomato Sauce without a food mill: After roasting, peel the skins from the tomatoes and discard. Scoop the peeled tomatoes into a bowl, and use a potato masher (or your hands) to mash the tomatoes. Push the mixture through a colander with large holes (not a fine mesh strainer) into a bowl.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60-90 minutes
- Category: Sauces
Keywords: tomato sauce, roasted tomatoes, pasta, Italian tomato sauce, summer tomato recipe