Tender, marinated steak tips braised in wine, tomatoes, and fresh rosemary, and served over a bed of quinoa only takes about an hour, but tastes like you’ve been cooking all afternoon.
FOR THE STEAK TIPS:
- 4–6 lbs marinated Steak Tips or Sirloin Steak (*To marinade sirloin, see note at the bottom of this recipe.)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- about 1 tsp salt
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Two 15-oz cans diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 – 5 large fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
FOR THE QUINOA:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (any variety)
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
MAKE THE STEAK TIPS:
- Heat oil in a dutch oven, or large heavy bottom saucepan, over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add a few pieces of steak to the hot oil. Sprinkle the steak with a bit of salt. Let cook for 2 minutes. Flip the steak over, sprinkle with a bit of salt and let cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Remove the steak to a plate and repeat with remaining pieces of steak.
- Reduce the burner’s heat to medium and add chopped onions. Cook, stirring frequently, just until they are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the wine to the pan and use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat up to high and let the wine boil and reduce for 10 minutes, until you only have about 2 tablespoons of liquid in the pan. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes in their juice, brown sugar, red pepper and rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Put the steak back into the pan with the liquid. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and let simmer gently for 30 minutes, until tender.
MAKE THE QUINOA:
- Pour quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse thoroughly with cool water and allow to drain.
- Pour water or broth into a medium size saucepan along with the salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa, turn the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat, keep covered, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and gently fluff with a fork.
Put about 1/2 cup cooked quinoa on each plate and top with 2-3 pieces of steak. Ladle some of the steak’s cooking liquid over the steak and quinoa and serve.
Depending on where you are in the world, marinated Steak Tips may or may not be available in your local market. No worries. If you can’t find marinated Steak Tips, use sirloin steak instead. Cut the sirloin into pieces that are approximately 5 inches long by 2 inches wide and put them in a baking dish. Mix a bottle of purchase Italian Dressing with 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds. Pour the dressing over the steak tips, sprinkle the meat with a generous amount of salt, cover the dish, and put in the refrigerator to marinade for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
If you’re making this as a part of Spring Meal Plan #3, you’ll want to cook enough steak to have 1 – 1 ½ pounds leftover for Vegetable Beef soup on Day #5. (Even if you’re not making this as a part of a meal plan, you might want to make enough to use in this delicious soup later in the week.) Plan on making about 1/2 pound of steak per serving for tonight’s meal, more if you’ll have some hungry meat eaters at your table. 😉