These simple open face sandwiches make a quick, hearty, flavor packed meal and is the perfect way to use up leftover marinara sauce.
Rich Roasted Tomato Sauce or Perfect Homemade Marinara, and Italian Sausage and melted provolone cheese tops thick slices of hearty toasted bread. This simple meal is a great way to use up leftover sauce and comes together in just a few minutes.
Is there any better problem to have than what to do with leftover homemade tomato sauce?
In the summer months when locally grown tomatoes are in season, Roasted Tomato Sauce gets made at my house nearly once a week.
Maybe it's because we live in Colorado where fresh tomatoes are only available a few months of the year, but I can't get enough of them in the summer. Ok. That sentence wasn't 100% true. We can actually purchase fresh tomatoes year round. But, from October through April, they mostly suck.
But from June through September, pot after pot of Roasted Tomato Sauce gets poured into dishes like Spaghetti Puttanesca and Baked Garlic Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Risotto, and these sandwiches, which couldn't be simpler or more delicious.
In the colder months, I rely on canned tomatoes to make pots of Perfect Homemade Marinara, using it to make Classic Lasagna with Italian Sausage, Homemade Pizza, Spaghetti and Meatballs, Eggplant and Chicken Parmesan, and these sandwiches.
They really are a delicious way to use up leftover sauce.
Although, they're so good, you might find yourself making some sauce just for the sandwiches.
It's important to use hearty, good quality bread here, preferably a loaf you can slice yourself into thick slices. Thinly sliced super soft bread just can't stand up to the sauce.
Toast a few slices then top them with tomato sauce or marinara, a crumble of Italian sausage and a few slices of provolone cheese. Put the sandwiches under the broiler (I use my toaster oven) until the cheese is all melted and bubbly, then serve.
Meal Plans that include Sausage and Provolone Sandwiches:Print
These simple open face sandwiches make a quick, hearty, flavor packed meal. Rich Roasted Tomato Sauce or Perfect Homemade Marinara, and Italian Sausage and melted provolone cheese tops thick slices of hearty toasted bread. This simple meal is a great way to use up leftover sauce and comes together in just a few minutes.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven. (You can also use a toaster oven.)
- Slice the bread into thick pieces and toast. Lay the toasted slices out on a baking sheet that's been covered with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Spoon some tomato sauce or marinara onto each piece of toast. Top each slice with a few crumbles of Italian sausage and two slices of provolone cheese.
- Place the toasts under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the oven, place sandwiches on serving plates. If using roasted tomato sauce, drizzle with another tablespoon or two of tomato sauce.
- If you're using a jar of tomato sauce or marinara instead of homemade, I encourage you to pour the sauce into a saucepan to heat it up, tasting it for seasoning and adding more salt, pepper, or fresh herbs if it's on the bland side.
- To cook Italian sausage, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook until no pink remains, using the spoon to break the sausage up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches