These simple open face sandwiches make a quick, hearty, flavor packed meal. Rich Roasted Tomato Sauce or Perfect Homemade Marinara, and Italian Sausage and melted provolone cheese tops thick slices of hearty toasted bread. This simple meal is a great way to use up leftover sauce and comes together in just a few minutes.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven. (You can also use a toaster oven.)
- Slice the bread into thick pieces and toast. Lay the toasted slices out on a baking sheet that’s been covered with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Spoon some tomato sauce or marinara onto each piece of toast. Top each slice with a few crumbles of Italian sausage and two slices of provolone cheese.
- Place the toasts under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the oven, place sandwiches on serving plates. If using roasted tomato sauce, drizzle with another tablespoon or two of tomato sauce.
- If you’re using a jar of tomato sauce or marinara instead of homemade, I encourage you to pour the sauce into a saucepan to heat it up, tasting it for seasoning and adding more salt, pepper, or fresh herbs if it’s on the bland side.
- To cook Italian sausage, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook until no pink remains, using the spoon to break the sausage up into small pieces as it cooks.