Asian Short Rib Pasta with Mushrooms and Asparagus
Short Ribs are cooked low and slow in a rich sauce until meltingly tender, then tossed with caramelized mushrooms, sautéed asparagus, and pasta.
This recipe begins with my all-time favorite Short Rib Recipe
Asian Short Ribs, is one of those tried-and-true recipes that I make several times a year. With very little hands-on effort, you will be rewarded with richly flavorful meat that is literally falling-off-the-bone tender and so good you'll have a difficult time not eating it all right there, standing at your kitchen counter, sauce dripping from your fingers, hoping no one else comes in the kitchen asking you to share. (I may, or may not, know this from experience.)
One of the best things about Asian Short Ribs is all the different ways you can do with the meat. I usually make a double batch (sometimes triple), serving the short ribs for dinner one night and saving the leftover meat so I can use it in other dishes throughout the week, like this pasta recipe.
Other Recipes that use Asian Short Ribs:
- Asian Short Rib Rice and Veggie Bowls
- Asian Short Rib Nachos
- Black Eyed Peas with Andouille Sausage
- Asian Short Rib Fried Rice
- Asian Short Rib Lasagna
The sauce for this pasta couldn't be easier
The rich, flavorful sauce for this pasta is made from cooking liquid that the short ribs have been simmering in for hours. Simply strain the liquid, thicken it with a bit of cornstarch, and let it simmer until thick and glossy.
But first, it's super important to defat the sauce. This is easy to do.
The easiest method is to make the short ribs a couple of hours, or a full day ahead of when you plan to eat them, storing the meat and sauce in separate containers in the refrigerator. As the sauce cools, the fat will solidify on the top so you can simply scoop it off.
If you don’t want to wait to eat your short ribs (I get it), just let the sauce sit out on the counter for 10 - 30 minutes. The fat will collect at the top and you can spoon it off.
After that this whole meal will come together quickly. Shred the meat, cook down the sauce until it's rich and thick, sautéed some asparagus and mushrooms, boil the spaghetti, toss everything together and serve.
Meal Plans That Include Slow CookerShort Rib Pasta:
- *Follow this Asian Short Rib recipe to cook 3 pounds of short ribs in the slow cooker or the oven. Use tongs to remove meat from the slow cooker to a plate or cutting board and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Strain the short rib cooking liquid into a bowl; discard any solids left in the strainer. Let the sauce sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes than skim as much excess fat from the top of the liquid as possible, discarding the fat. (*See note.)
- Add 2 tbsp cornstarch and about ½ cup of the cooking liquid to a bowl and stir to combine. Add the rest of the cooking liquid to a heavy bottom saucepan. Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce in the saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and let simmer, stirring frequently, for 5-19 minutes, until the sauce is thick and has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, pull the short rib meat from the bones and shred it into strips; discard bones and excess fat.
Cook the Vegetables and Pasta:
- Fill a large saucepan about ⅔ full with water and add enough salt to make the water taste salty. Set the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Add the pasta, letting it cook until al dente. (*See note below for how to cook fresh, homemade pasta.) Drain in a colander in the sink and set aside while you cook the vegetables.
- Bend the asparagus spears, allowing them to snap in half. Discard the base of the stalks (or save them in the freezer for Cream of Asparagus Soup.) Cut the asparagus tips into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add half the asparagus tips to the hot oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-4 minutes, just until they start to blacken in a few places and are tender-crisp. Dump them out onto a plate, add another ½ tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining asparagus tips.
- Turn the burner heat down to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet. Add half the sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are a deep golden brown, bordering on crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the plate with the asparagus, add another tablespoon of oil and butter to the pan and repeat with the remaining mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, add the cooked pasta, short rib meat, asparagus, mushrooms, and short rib cooking liquid. Toss gently to combine and heat over low just until everything is heated through.
Defat the Sauce:
If possible, put the cooking liquid into the refrigerator, uncovered, for an hour or two (or, covered, for up to 2 days). This will allow the excess fat in the liquid to harden across the top of the liquid, making it very easy to remove.
How to cook fresh, homemade pasta:
Fill a large saucepan about ⅔ full with water and add enough salt to make the water taste salty; 2-3 tbsp. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 2 minutes, until al dente. Strain in a colander set inside the sink and rinse briefly with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 702Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 53g