This Slow Cooker Irish Beef and Guinness Stew is deliciously warm and comforting with tender chunks of beef, carrots, and potatoes swimming an a thick, rich broth.
- 2–3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 leeks
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces Guinness
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 32 ounces beef or chicken broth
- 4 tbsp grainy mustard
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- 2 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 4-inch pieces
- 12 ounces frozen peas (optional)
Herb Butter (for serving):
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of garlic powder
- Spread the pieces of meat out on a paper towel and use another paper towel to blot away excess moisture from the meat. Sprinkle the meat on all sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add just enough of the meat to fit across the bottom of the pan without any of the pieces touching. Cook without moving the pieces until they are well browned, about 2-3 minutes. Use tongs to turn each piece until browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan and place it in a slow cooker. Continue to brown all of the meat.
- Turn the heat down to medium and return the saucepan to the heat. You should have about 1 tablespoon of oil left in the pan. (Add a bit more oil if you have less than that.) Add the chopped onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Using only the white and light green parts of the leeks, trim the ends, and chop the stalks in half. Slice each half into 1/2-inch pieces. Put the pieces in a colander set in the sink and rinse in cold water.
- When the onions are brown, add the leeks, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes longer. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute longer.
- Slowly pour in the Guinness, stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, mustard, and 1 tsp salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then pour the liquid over the meat in the slow cooker. Add the carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker, stirring gently to nestle the vegetables down into the liquid.
- Cook the stew on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 6 hours. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. A few minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas (if using).
- Serve with extra grainy mustard and herb butter.
To Make the Herb Butter:
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.