Short Ribs are cooked low and slow in a rich sauce until meltingly tender, then tossed with caramelized mushrooms, sautéed asparagus, and gluten free quinoa spaghetti.
*Follow this Asian Short Rib recipe to cook 3 pounds of short ribs in the slow cooker or the oven.
- 8 – 10 oz spaghetti
- 16 oz asparagus
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16 oz portobello or shiitake mushrooms, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- *Follow this Asian Short Rib recipe to cook 3 pounds of short ribs in the slow cooker or the oven.
- Use tongs to remove meat from the slow cooker to a plate or cutting board and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl; discard any solids left in the strainer. Let the sauce sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes than skim as much excess fat from the top of the liquid as possible, discarding the fat. *If possible, put the cooking liquid into the refrigerator, uncovered, for an hour or two (or, covered, for up to 2 days). This will allow the excess fat in the liquid to harden across the top of the liquid, making it very easy to remove.
- Add 2 tbsp cornstarch and about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to a bowl and stir to combine. Add the rest of the cooking liquid to a heavy bottom saucepan. Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce in the saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and let simmer, stirring frequently, for 5-19 minutes, until the sauce is thick and has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, pull the short rib meat from the bones and shred it into strips; discard bones and any pieces that are super fatty.
Cook the Vegetables and Pasta:
- Follow the package directions to cook the pasta. Drain in a colander in the sink and set aside while you cook the vegetables.
- Bend the asparagus spears, allowing them to snap in half. Discard the base of the stalks (or save them in the freezer for Cream of Asparagus Soup.) Cut the asparagus tips into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add half the asparagus tips to the hot oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-4 minutes, just until they start to blacken in a few places and are tender-crisp. Dump them out onto a plate, add another 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining asparagus tips.
- Turn the burner heat down to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet. Add half the sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are a deep golden brown, bordering on crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the plate with the asparagus, add another tablespoon of oil and butter to the pan and repeat with the remaining mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, add the cooked pasta, short rib meat, asparagus, mushrooms, and short rib cooking liquid. Toss gently to combine and heat over low just until everything is heated through.
Have some leftover pasta that you’re not sure what to do with? Use it to make a simple Pasta Frittata!