*Makes a great addition to your Take-Out Freezer.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, and diced
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- A dash of cayenne (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 to 1 & 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2–3 cups Pork Carnitas (Substitute pre-cooked pork roast from your local market, or fry up some bacon or sausage to use in place of the Carnitas if you like.)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the oil and butter to a large heavy bottomed sauce pan or dutch oven and set over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the diced onion and red pepper. Cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion and pepper is cooking, add the garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper to a small bowl and stir to combine. Add to the softened peppers and onions and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for about 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the broth slowly to prevent lumps from forming. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, turn down the heat to medium-low and allow the potatoes to simmer until they are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle about 1 cup of liquid from the soup pot into a bowl. Stir in the sour cream until completely incorporated. Stir back into the soup pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the cheese and stir until melted and completely incorporated into the soup. Stir in the Carnitas. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to heat the meat through. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and serve.