- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (See Note)
- 2 cups black beans, slow simmered or from a can (drained)
- About 8 cups shredded romain lettuce (or any kind of greens)
- 12 - 16 radishes, ends trimmed and sliced very thin
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 12 - 16 oz cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz Mexican cheese (or shredded Colby Jack)
- 8 corn tortillas (OR - a bag of tortilla chips)
- 1 cup corn oil (disregard if using tortilla chips)
- Salsa vinaigrette OR Creamy Mango Lime Dressing
To fry tortilla strips:
- Add the oil to a large, deep saucepan or frying pan and place over high heat. You want to heat the oil until a small piece of tortilla placed in the oil begins to sizzle immediately, about 350°F. Be careful to not allow the oil to get so hot that it smokes. If that happens, move the pan off the heat immediately and allow to cool down slightly before placing it back over the heat. Adjust the burner heat as necessary to maintain the temperature.
- While the oil is heating, cut tortillas into strips about 1/2-inch wide
- Line a baking sheet with a couple of layers of paper towels and have a small dish of salt near by.
- When the oil is hot, add a handful of tortilla strips – enough to cover the bottom of the pan, but not so many that they are laying on top of each other. Fry the strips for 2-4 minutes, until they are a deep golden brown.
- Using tongs, quickly remove the strips from the oil and onto the paper towel lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with some salt. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.
Assemble the taco salad:
- Lay everything out on the counter or table top and allow everyone to build their salads as they wish. Suggested order: Lettuce, veggies, salsa vinaigrette, beans, carnitas, cheese, tortilla strips.
- The recipe for Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas makes quite a lot, on purpose. I love to use carnitas in all sorts of dishes, and therefore love having leftovers. Carnitas make divine tacos, are delicious in Spanish Potato Soup, and elevate Baked Potatoes to a gourmet treat. If you're making this as a part of Spring Meal Plan #4, you'll use the leftovers for Pulled Pork Sandwiches later this week. If you're not making carnitas as a part of a meal plan and don't want a bunch of leftovers, just cut the recipe in half.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad Recipes
Keywords: taco salad, carnitas taco salad, salad for dinner, main dish salad, Mexican food, healthy recipe