Chunks of tender pork, vegetables, and rice noodles are simmered in a rich shiitake mushroom broth that’s flavored with lemon grass, cilantro and Thai spices.
- 2 tsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 3 or 4 stalks of fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced (see note below for preparation instructions)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp + 2 tbsp fish sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp Thai Spice Mix, divided
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz pad Thai rice noodles
- 1 tbsp green curry paste
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups bok choy, leaves removed and white stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked pork (see note)
- 3-4 fresh limes
- 1-2 cups sprouts or micro greens
- Chili garlic sauce
- Scallions, white part only sliced very thin
- Lime wedges
- Fresh, chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large, heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the lemongrass, onion, cilantro, garlic and 3 tbsp fish sauce. Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp Thai Spice Mix and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute longer.
- Add the beef and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer to blend the flavors for 10 minutes. Strain the broth into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the solids and return the broth to the saucepan. (NOTE: The broth can be refrigerated at this point for up to 5 days.)
- Fill another large sauce pan with water, set it over high heat, and bring to a boil. Add the rice noodles and cook until al dente - about 2-3 minutes. Strain and reserve.
- Bring the broth back to a simmer and add 2 teaspoons Thai Spice Mix, 1 tablespoon green curry paste, the mushrooms, and the bok choy. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the pork. Cook for another 2-4 minutes, until the pork is heated through.
- Add the rice noodles to a large serving dish and pour the soup over the top of them.
- Serve with garnishes, allowing each person to top their soup as they like.
- To prepare a stalk of lemongrass for cooking: Trim all but the bottom 5 inches of a lemongrass stalk. Remove the tough outer sheath. If the stalk is quite tough, you might need to remove a few layers of the outer leaves to get to the tender inner portion. Thinly slice the trimmed and peeled lemon grass on a slight bias.
- Substitute all vegetable broth or all beef broth for the mix of the two, if you prefer.
- To prepare cooked pork: Season 2 large pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet and brown the chops on both sides. Put the chops in a baking dish and pour in 2 cups of water, broth or apple cider. Cook in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let cool, remove the meat from the bone, and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: soup, noodle soup, pork, Asian recipe, soup recipe, dinner recipe, simple dinner recipe, soup for dinner, favorite soup recipe, Thai soup recipe