Summer Tomato Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
Is there any better combination than tomatoes and bacon? This simple salad makes good use of sweet summer tomatoes. Simply chop up some tomatoes, layer them over fresh greens, drizzle with bacon vinaigrette and a few pieces of crispy bacon.
This Fresh Tomato Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette is a delicious accompaniment to all variety of dishes, but especially good alongside Skillet Cod with Creamy Corn Relish.
For the Bacon Vinaigrette:
- 4 oz thick cut bacon (about 4 or 5 slices)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 cups of summer greens – I prefer spinach, frisée, or endive
- Salt and pepper
Make the bacon vinaigrette:
- Slice the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Place a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring frequently, until the bacon is crisp. Remove the skillet from the heat. Use a slotted spoon to more the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a medium size bowl, add 1 tbsp of the rendered bacon fat. Add the vinegar, dijon, and sugar and stir to combine. Pour the olive oil into the dressing in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly, to create an emulsion. Add about 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, taste and add more if you like.
Make the Salad:
- Wash the tomatoes and remove the stem and core. Slice them into large chunks and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Put the greens in a bowl, or distribute amongst serving plates. Top with tomatoes. Drizzle with bacon vinaigrette and top with the pieces of crispy bacon.