This Fresh Tomato Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette is a delicious accompaniment to all variety of dishes, but especially good alongside Skillet Cod with Creamy Corn Relish.
For the Bacon Vinaigrette:
- 4 oz thick cut bacon (about 4 or 5 slices)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 cups of summer greens – I prefer spinach, frisée, or endive
- Salt and pepper
Make the bacon vinaigrette:
- Slice the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Place a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring frequently, until the bacon is crisp. Remove the skillet from the heat. Use a slotted spoon to more the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a medium size bowl, add 1 tbsp of the rendered bacon fat. Add the vinegar, dijon, and sugar and stir to combine. Pour the olive oil into the dressing in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly, to create an emulsion. Add about 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, taste and add more if you like.
Make the Salad:
- Wash the tomatoes and remove the stem and core. Slice them into large chunks and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Put the greens in a bowl, or distribute amongst serving plates. Top with tomatoes. Drizzle with bacon vinaigrette and top with the pieces of crispy bacon.
Keywords: salad, vegetable recipe, bacon salad, tomato salad