This easy vegetable rice pilaf is packed with green beans and sautéed vegetables. A few pieces of bacon dial up the flavor.
Easy Vegetable Rice Pilaf with Bacon
Using leftover veggies makes this easy vegetable rice pilaf come together in a snap. Use whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand.
If you are making this dish as a part of Winter Winter Meal Plan #2 or Fall Meal Plan #1 this will make good use of the extra Sautéed Veggies and Green Beans with Bacon you made last night. Otherwise, simply follow the recipe instructions to sauté some veggies and cook some green beans in the microwave.
This dish can easily become a meal unto itself. Topped with chopped almonds and studded with bacon, it becomes a delicious lunch or light supper. Add some Italian sausage, polish sausage, or shredded chicken for a hearty meal.
Weekly Meal Plans that include Vegetable Rice Pilaf:
- 1 cup Microwave Green Beans with Bacon
- 1 cup quick Sautéed veggies, using whatever vegetables you like. (pictured here: red bell peppers and asparagus)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped dry roasted almonds (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until butter is melted and the oil is shimmering. Add diced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown. Stir in the garlic and thyme; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes to toast the rice. Stir in chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, turn down the heat to low, and allow to simmer gently for about 20 minutes. Pull off the lid and taste the rice for doneness. If still slightly crunchy, keep cooking for a few minutes longer.
- If the green beans or sautéed veggies are in long pieces, chop into small ½-inch pieces. Add green beans and bacon and sautéed vegetables to the pot and stir to combine. Remove from the heat, cover the pot and allow to sit for 5 minutes to heat the vegetables through.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired. Top with chopped parsley and serve with chopped almonds, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g