Veggie Black Bean Nachos. Turn any night into a party with thick, homemade tortilla chips loaded up with cheese, black beans, and tons of veggies.
For Homemade Tortilla Chips: (See note)
- At least 12–16 corn tortillas
- About 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- Kosher or coarse ground sea salt
For the nachos:
- 2–3 cups grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, or a combination of the two
- Approximately 2 cups of black beans
- 2 red peppers, sliced and sautéed (Alternatively, dice them and serve them raw.)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, sliced and sautéed (Alternatively, dice a red onion and serve it raw.)
- 12 radishes, washed, trimmed and sliced very thin
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced – OR 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, served whole or cut in half
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, seed removed, and sliced thin
- A jar of pickled jalapeños
- Purchase salsa or pico de gallo
- One bunch of scallions, white parts only sliced thin
- One bunch of cilantro, approximately 1 cup, chopped
Make the chips:
- Add the oil to a large, deep saucepan or frying pan and place over high heat. You want to heat the oil until a small piece of tortilla placed in the oil begins to sizzle immediately, about 350°F. Be careful to not allow the oil to get so hot that it smokes. If that happens, move the pan off the heat immediately and allow to cool down slightly before placing it back over the heat. Adjust the burner heat as necessary to maintain the temperature.
- While the oil is heating, cut each tortilla into 4 triangle shaped wedges.
- Line a baking sheet with a couple of layers of paper towels and have a small dish of salt near by.
- When the oil is hot, add a handful of tortilla wedges – enough to cover the bottom of the pan, but not so many that they are laying on top of each other. Fry the chips for 2-4 minutes, until they are a deep golden brown.
- Using tongs, quickly remove the chips from the oil and onto the paper towel lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with some salt. Repeat with the remaining tortilla wedges.
Make the Nachos:
You have a couple of options here.
- The first is to lay all the ingredients out and let each person assemble their own plate of nachos: Add some chips to a microwave safe plate and top with a handful of cheese, black beans, and sautéed red peppers and onions. Heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese and heat the beans and vegetables. Top with whatever other ingredients you like.
- The second option is to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lay all the chips out on a baking sheet in an even layer. Top with cheese, black beans, and sautéed red peppers and onions. Cook the tray of nachos in the oven until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from the oven and let each person add some to their plates before topping with additional ingredients.
- A bag of tortilla chips can be used instead of making homemade chips. If you are making homemade chips, you’ll want approximately 12-16 chips per person. Since each corn tortilla makes 4 chips, you’ll need 12-16 tortillas for a family of four. BUT – I strongly suggest you make more than that because while you’re cooking them, your family will come along behind you and sneak a few. Who are we kidding? You will too.