Rice and Vegetable Bowls with Short Ribs in a Rich Asian Sauce
Short Ribs are cooked low and slow in a rich sauce until meltingly tender, then served over sushi rice with roasted cabbage, sautéed asparagus, red bell peppers, and bok choy.
Any Recipe That Starts with Asian Short Ribs Has Got To Be Good
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: These Asian Short Ribs are crazy good. So good, in fact, that I keep coming up with new recipes that require them. I might be obsessed.
They take very little effort – about 5 minutes of hands-on time – before cooking away in the oven or slow cooker until they are so tender, they literally fall off the bone.
Use the Cooking Liquid to Make a Rich, Delicious Sauce
The short rib meat for this dish is coated a thick, rich, absolutely delicious sauce that is nothing more than the cooking liquid that the meat has simmered in for several hours.
But first, it’s super important to defat the sauce. This is easy to do.
The easiest method is to make the short ribs a couple of hours, or a full day ahead of when you plan to eat them, storing the meat and sauce in separate containers in the refrigerator. As the sauce cools, the fat will solidify on the top so you can simply scoop it off.
If you don’t want to wait to eat your short ribs (I get it), just let the sauce sit out on the counter for 10-30 minutes or so. The fat will collect at the top and you can spoon it off.
Use Whatever Vegetables You Like
This recipe calls for cabbage, asparagus, red bell peppers, and bok choy, and the combination is delicious. But, pretty much any vegetable – broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini or yellow squash – can be quickly sautéed until crisp-tender. So substitute at will.
The only exception is the cabbage, which is better suited to roasting. If you’re not a cabbage lover, simply leave it out.
Meal Plans that Include Asian Slow Cooker Short Rib, Rice, and Veggie Bowls:
More Recipes that use Asian Short Ribs:
- Slow Cooker Short Rib Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Asian Short Rib Nachos
- Black Eyed Peas with Andouille Sausage
- Asian Short Rib Fried Rice
- Asian Short Rib Lasagna
- 2-3 lbs cooked Asian Short Rib meat
- 1 small head red cabbage
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 tbsp chili sesame oil
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 red bell peppers
- About 6 cups chopped bok choy - well rinsed
- *Follow this Asian Short Rib Recipe to cook 3 pounds of short ribs in the slow cooker or the oven. Use tongs to remove meat from the slow cooker to a plate or cutting board and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl; discard any solids left in the strainer. Let the sauce sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes than skim as much excess fat from the top of the liquid as possible, discarding the fat. (*See note.)
- Add 2 tbsp cornstarch and about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to a bowl and stir to combine. Add the rest of the cooking liquid to a heavy bottom saucepan. Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce in the saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and let simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile, pull the short rib meat from the bones and shred it into strips; discard bones and any pieces that are super fatty.
- Combine the shredded short rib meat with the sauce, stirring to coat the meat in the sauce.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim the bottom and remove the core from the cabbage. Cut the cabbage in half, crosswise. Then cut each half into three thick slices, for a total of six slices. Lay the cabbage slices in a 9×13 baking dish; it’s ok if they overlap a bit.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a small dish. Stir 1 tablespoon olive oil into the butter. With a pastry brush or a spoon, brush the cabbage with the butter and oil. Sprinkle each slice generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the edges of the cabbage slices are brown and crispy, about 35-40 minutes.
- Prepare the rice: Add 1 1/2 cups of water to a medium size saucepan and add the rice and chili garlic oil. Cover tightly and set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer gently for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, but keep the lid on. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, sauté the vegetables: Break the asparagus stalks in half - letting them snap wherever they like. Discard the bottom half of the stalks (or freeze for cream of asparagus soup), and cut the tips into pieces that are about 2-inches long. Remove the stem and seeds from the red bell peppers and slice them into pieces that are about 1/2-inch thick.
- Add a teaspoon or two of oil to a skillet and set it over high heat. Working in batches (it's important to not over crowd the pan), sauté the asparagus, red peppers, and bok choy for 2-3 minutes, just until they are crisp-tender. Sprinkle them with a bit of salt and pepper while they cook. Dump each cooked batch of vegetables into a large bowl.
- To serve: Reheat the short rib meat in the microwave if necissary. Spoon some rice into a bowl. Top with veggies and short ribs in their sauce.
Prepare the meat and sauce:
Make the Rice and Vegetables:
The easiest way to defat the short rib sauce:
If possible, put the cooking liquid into the refrigerator, uncovered, for an hour or two (or, covered, for up to 2 days). This will allow the excess fat in the liquid to harden across the top of the liquid, making it very easy to remove.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 630Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 45g