Indian Shrimp and Rice
Indian Shrimp and Rice. Shrimp sauced in an Indian spiced marinara cream sauce and served over rice will be on the table in about 30 minutes.
For some reason, I feel like this dish was made for Friday nights and should be eaten from bowls while snuggled under blankets and watching a movie. Preferably with a cocktail, like this cucumber gimlet, nearby.
But, really, this shrimp and rice dish is great any night of the week, cooking up in under 30 minutes. One of the keys to getting this on the table quickly is to purchase pre-shelled and deveined shrimp, if you can find them. My market generally has a bag in the freezer section.
If you’re using fresh shrimp that has not been shelled and deveined for you, that prep work will add another 10 minutes or so. Still, a pretty quick meal.
If you’re making this as a part of Weekly Winter Meal Plan #3, or Fall Meal Plan #2, you should have a couple cups of homemade marinara sauce in your refrigerator, reserved just for this dish. If not, a jar of good quality marinara will work just fine.
Weekly Meal Plans that include Indian Shrimp and Rice:Print
Shrimp sauced in an Indian spiced marinara cream sauce and served over rice will be on the table in about 30 minutes.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp garam masala, divided
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons of minced garlic, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Add the yogurt, cumin, paprika, 2 tsp of the garam masala, lime juice, salt, ground ginger, and 2 teaspoons of the garlic to a bowl and stir to mix. Add the shrimp and toss to coat all the shrimp completely in the sauce. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, and up to 1 hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan set over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the grated ginger, remaining clove of minced garlic, and remaining teaspoon of garam masala, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shrimp and its marinade. Cover the saucepan and let sit for about 5 minutes to let the shrimp cook through. Test one of the shrimp for doneness – the exterior should be pink and the flesh will be slightly opaque and slightly white.
- Add the rice to a serving bowl. Spoon the shrimp over the rice, top with the chopped scallions, and serve.
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: shrimp, Indian Recipe, shrimp and rice, Indian food, dinner recipe, easy dinner recipe, fast recipe