This creamy, warm and slightly spicy Spanish Potato Soup is comfort food at its best. Buttery Yukon Gold potatoes are cooked in a broth flavored with onion, red pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, and paprika.
Add some sour cream, cheese and pork carnitas and serve with warm tortillas or bread to sop up all that delicious broth.
Spanish Potato Soup with Carnitas and Cheese
As is the case with most soups, you have plenty of options with this recipe. To make a lighter version of the soup, leave out the sour cream and cheese - or reduce their amounts.
You can also make this soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth and leaving out the pork carnitas. The potatoes cooked in the broth are perfectly delicious all on their own.
You can leave the meat out altogether, or purchase some pre-cooked pork roast at your local market and add that in place of the Carnitas. Or, fry up some bacon or sausage and use that.
Of course, the best solution is simply to make a batch of Carnitas (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker) the day before you plan to cook this soup. Use them in tacos the day you make them and then save the leftovers for this soup.
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos are so delicious and incredibly simple to make. This recipe makes enough for plenty of leftovers that you can use throughout the week or freeze.
Meal Plans that include Spanish Potato Soup:
More Popular Soup Recipes:
- Red Lentil Soup with Ham and Aleppo Pepper Oil
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Chicken Chili with Chorizo and Roasted Corn
- Potato Corn Chowder
- Spanish Style Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Vegetarian Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, and diced
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste (1 teaspoon table salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 to 1 & ½ inch chunks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 cups Pork Carnitas (See note below for substitutions)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the oil and butter to a large heavy bottomed saucepan or dutch oven and set over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the diced onion and red pepper. Cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion and pepper is cooking, add the garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper to a small bowl and stir to combine. Add to the softened peppers and onions and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for about 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Pour the broth in slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and turn down the heat to medium-low. Let the potatoes simmer gently until they are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Ladle about 1 cup of liquid from the soup pot into a bowl. Slowly stir in the sour cream until completely incorporated. Stir back into the soup pot.
- Add the cheese, and stir until melted and completely incorporated into the soup. Stir in the Carnitas. Set back over low heat and cook, stirring, just until the carnitas are heated through.
- Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and serve.
What can you use instead of carnitas?
Use any kind of shredded pork, pulled pork, or pre-cooked pork roast. Or use cooked sausage, bacon, or chorizo. Another great option is shredded cooked chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 733Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 1534mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g