Lentils cooked in a rich broth flavored with garlic, onions, chorizo sausage, and smoked paprika are brightened with handfuls of parsley and kale for a Spanish style soup that will warm you up even on the coldest nights.
Simple, Hearty Spanish Style Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale
Bonus: This soup is possibly even better the next day, something you'll be grateful for if you have some leftover for lunch later in the week.
This lentil soup could easily be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth and leaving out the sausage.
More Popular Soup Recipes:
- Red Lentil Soup with Ham and Aleppo Pepper Oil
- Black Bean Tomato Soup
- Beef and Barley Soup with Roasted Mushrooms and Bacon
- Southwest Summer Corn Chowder
- Spanish Style Sausage and Lentil soup
- Thai Chicken Soup with Noodles, Coconut, and Curry
Meal Plans that Include Spanish Style Sausage and Lentil Soup with Parsley and Kale:Print
- 1 lb lentils (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs ground chorizo or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 4 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 12 oz kale (about 12 cups)
- Put the lentils in a bowl with 3 teaspoon salt. Add 4 cups of boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a plate or bowl and turn the heat down to medium low.
- Add ¾ cup of the minced onions, all of the carrots, ¼ cup of the parsley, and 1 teaspoon salt to the saucepan. Cover and cook until the vegetables are very soft - about 20 minutes. Lift off the lid and stir every once in while.
- Add the lentils and vinegar, increase the heat to medium-high and cook until all the vinegar has evaporated - about 1 minute. Add the broth, soy sauce, bay leaves, and cloves, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the kale and the sausage to the soup and cook until the kale is tender, 5-10 minutes. Check to see if the lentils are tender. If they're not, let the soup simmer for a bit longer before proceeding.
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the remaining onion, paprika, garlic, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds. Stir this mixture into the soup, and let the soup simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened a bit, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup parsley. Taste and add more salt, pepper, and/or vinegar if desired.
- Category: Soups and Stews