There is some serious flavor packed into these open face pot roast sandwiches. Thick slices of toast are slathered with herbed mayonnaise, stewed onions, leftover pot roast, and melted gruyere cheese, then topped with a pile of dark leafy greens.
They are a delicious way to use up leftover pot roast and get dinner on the table in about 15 minutes.
Open Face Pot Roast Sandwiches (Pot roast tartines)
If you don't have any leftover pot roast in your refrigerator, simply use deli roast beef in place of the pot roast and sauté a few onions in place of the stewed onions (directions for sautéing onions are in the recipe.)
I usually serve pot roast sandwiches with Israeli salad, but French fries would be fabulous. Because, well, French fries.
- 4 thick slices of hearty bread (I like to use sourdough)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 16-20 oounces leftover pot roast - OR 1 pound deli roast beef
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, sliced very thin
- 4 cups dark leafy greens, like spinach or kale
- Preheat your oven's broiler.
- Toast the slices of bread and lay them side by side on a baking sheet.
- Stir the garlic, parsley, and cilantro into the mayonnaise. Spread a generous layer of the herbed mayonnaise over each slice of toasted bread.
- If you have stewed onions, divide them amongst the sandwiches, layering the onions over the mayonnaise. If you don't have stewed onions on hand, peel 1 large yellow onion and slice it into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sautéed the onions in the oil until they are soft and beginning to brown. Distribute over the sandwiches.
- Layer the pot roast or roast beef over the onions on each sandwich and top with a few slices of cheese.
- Place the sheet of sandwiches under the broiler to melt the cheese. Watch carefully - the cheese will go from just starting to brown to burnt very quickly.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven, distribute among 4 plates, and top each with a generous portion of kale, spinach, or other dark leafy greens.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 740Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1719mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g